Do Dental Implants Need to be Replaced?
For patients that have missing, cracked, or broken teeth, dental implants are a great solution. Implants give patients a permanent, comfortable option that lasts for years or even a lifetime.
At Brian Gurinsky, DDS, MS, we meet with our patients to evaluate if they are a good candidate for implants. We also come up with a customized treatment plan for each patient that fits their needs. Our team is always available to help patients through each step of the way, supporting them and answering any questions they may have.
Many patients are interested in finding out if their dental implants will ever need to be replaced? Compared to other alternatives such as dentures or bridges that only last 5-15 years before needing replacement, implants are permanent and do last upwards of 25 years or even a lifetime. It is important to care for implants just like our natural teeth to ensure they do last. Implants rarely ever need additional work once placed in the mouth, and have a 95% success rate with patients.
We recommend good oral hygiene, and following our recovery instructions as you heal from the implant procedure. Avoid hard foods and any products that will stain your teeth.
Tips to ensure your implants last a lifetime:
- Use a low abrasive brush such as a soft type tooth brush.
- Use a non-abrasive gel or paste to avoid scratching the surface of your implant.
- Floss daily using implant specific floss, or use a Waterpik Water Flosser to help protect and keep the implant and surrounding tissue healthy.
- Avoid any products containing, stannous fluoride, sodium fluoride, or baking soda. These products may make the implants prone to corrosion.
- Anti-microbial rinses can be used to prevent infection and reduce inflammation.
If you care for your implants and practice good oral hygiene, dental implants can last your lifetime and never have to be replaced. Contact Brian Gurinsky, DDS, MS today to schedule your appointment, and see how our implant services can benefit you.