Dental implants are a great solution if you want comfortable natural looking teeth. As with any restorative procedure, you must have a good at home care routing to keep your smile looking great. Good oral hygiene is required with dental implants to increase the life of the implant.
The recovery time for dental implants is approximately four to six months while the bone fuses to your new implant. The recovery time may also vary if bone grafting is needed.
After the procedure, an at home care routine must begin. Tissue surrounding the affected teeth should remain pink and show no signs of infection. Oral hygiene is a key part in making sure your implants heal properly. Our team at Brian Gurinsky DDS, MS, will discuss what at home care routine is needed, to ensure your dental implants look and feel great for years.
Here are some guidelines to follow when caring for your dental implants:
- Brush your teeth twice daily to remove any bacteria or plaque, and use a non-abrasive type brush. A soft tooth brush is ideal to use on dental implants.
- Avoid any products containing stannous fluoride, sodium fluoride, baking soda or stain removers. The oxide layer can be compromised if these products are used, and the implant can be prone to corrosion.
- Non-abrasive paste should be used when brushing your teeth. This will prevent scratching the surface of the implant.
- Floss daily using an implant specific floss. This will protect the tissue around the implants.
- If inflammation is seen around the implants use a non-microbial rinse.
- A Waterpik Water Flosser can be used to reduce inflammation and reach difficult areas around the implants.
Dental implants should be kept clean, and this can be done by following the care guidelines above. While you brush your teeth make sure to brush on all sides of the implant to cover all areas. If you care for your implants, they can last a very long time and provide a smile you are proud of.
With our assistance and a great at home care routine, you can lengthen the life of your dental implants and keep them looking great.
Please call or email Brian Gurinsky DDS, MS today to schedule your appointment and see how we can meet your dental implant needs.